Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Athletes and role models - separate entities


I had a good friend in high school who wrote an article for our student newspaper about how athletes are not role models. I wish I had the final draft or the publication in my hands today, because the words were brilliant. It was just today that the memories from those days as a staff reporter and editor for the paper suddenly surfaced after a couple years. It was that story - Paul's in-depth discussion on just how large the spectrum should be between "athletes" and "role models" - that surfaced first. Why?


Perhaps it has been the saga following the death of former NFL quarterback Steve McNair, with newer, darker secrets being revealed seemingly every day since his murder. Maybe somehow Michael Vick has my neurons re-firing today after a couple years out of the league for his role in a dogfighting ring. Need I reiterate my recent post about NASCAR schmuck Jeremy Mayfield? Manny and his substance abuse? Substance abuse in general? My goodness, I just about left Pacman Jones out of this post. Needless to say, I could go on... and on... and on... Sports figures today are making me sick.


Call me crazy, but I'd rather pay money for my next door neighbor lady's autograph these days. She's quiet and really knows how to mow right up to the property line. Now there's a role model. Don't expect a national spotlight, multi-million dollar paycheck, and a job that satisfies without fail week in and week out to turn an athlete into some saint, worthy of your undivided attention and idolization. In fact, expect just the opposite.


No sports star is so deserving. Ever. No more than you or me. No more than maybe your parents - whoever you may think highest of, whoever you call your role models. Humans are inherently flawed. Obviously. Read the book of Genesis. But the difference between, say, Dan Narber and Michael Vick is that I know my father doesn't need to cover up his sins to protect some precious reputation.


Because beware, people: it's the covering up, the skeletons, what's swept under rug that has sports fans these days fooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment