Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Favre-a-palooza comes to a close


Maybe it's because I want Sage Rosenfels - a graduate of my Iowa State University - to finally have his shot at a starting NFL job. Perhaps it's because I hated Brett that green and yellow '4' jersey for so many years that I couldn't possibly stand him taking the field in Viking purple and gold. Maybe it was the constant back and forth...and back...and forth...between permanent retirement and stretching out an already illustrious career - one one-year contract at a time.


Whatever the reason, I breathed a sigh of relief standing in line to ride my favorite roller coaster yesterday, when my phone jingled with an ESPN update, and I saw that Favre has - at loooooong last - called it quits. Well, at least he wants nothing to do with playing in Minnesota in 2009-10. To say he'll never be back, well, don't bet the farm. Don't even bet your pocket change.


I'm just glad that Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels will alas be able to hit gloves, wish each other well, and come out of their corners swinging for the starting job this summer. I couldn't be happier for them. How they must have felt hearing Favre's name in the same breath with "Vikings," and "quarterback" more than their own - the guys with the contracts and homes in the Twin Cities area - it would drive anyone crazy! But T-Jack and Sage can breath now, they can shine, they can finally duke this thing out.


No sense in going into any more detail. You've all seen the news. And now that my team has finally washed its hands of one Brett Favre, I am so happy - so excited - to be a Minnesota Vikings fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment